Mount Nemo Scout Camp: Facilities
Hamilton Wentworth Area council has operated Camp Nemo for over 50 years. The camp consists of over 150 acres of varied landscape including fields, valleys, wooded and wilderness areas.
Located in North Burlington at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment the camp is just minutes away from the Bruce Trail. The Bronte Creek and the much smaller Nemo Creek both pass through the camp.
Facilities include 8 buildings, 8 Adirondack shelters (in 3 pods), and numerous campsites (ranging from wilderness sites stressing zero impact on the environment to large group campsite with car parking located nearby).
Camp Nemo Fix-It List. Email Gino Sferrazza for more information on your project
Drinking water is from the Region of Halton, trucked in, stored in holding tanks and further treated prior to distribution to buildings and water stations.
Numerous hiking trails are on site (including the perimeter trail that takes in just about every corner of the camp).
As mentioned above the Bruce Trail is just minutes away. After joining the trail at #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line the trail climbs the escarpment through a fissure. Once on top of the escarpment the trial continues over fairly level terrain criss-crossed with fissures, some of which lead into a system of vertical caves. The trail continues on to Mt. Nemo Conservation area. The view from the top of the escarpment is spectacular.
A short distance away is Rattlesnake Point Conservation area (one of Ontario best spots for rock climbing) and Crawford Lake Conservation area (rare meromictic lake). Check out Conservation Halton for additional details.
On Site resources:
- HICOP (highcop) – (Hencher Interpretive Centre for Outdoor Program)
- Camp Nemo Program Kits. These kits are available from the Camp Factor.
- Large group/multiple group camp fire area
- Each building and campsite also has their own camp fire area
- 2 chapels (1 in a forested area, 1 nestled in a quiet corner surrounded by trees)
- Open fields for large wide game activities
- Winter sports – cross country skiing, snowshoeing and Hiking
- 48 picnic tables through out the camp
- Pioneering Equipment (spars and rope are available for use)
Garbage Bin is for regular garbage only …All recyclables please take with you.Other items to Note:
- Please check in with Camp Factor (the onsite volunteer manager for the weekend) upon arrival.
- In addition please check out with the Camp Factor once your building/campsite is cleaned.
- Firewood is available for on-site for use.
- Large Retail stores (in case you forget something) are located 15 minutes away.
- Cell phone coverage is marginal (There is a phone located in Factors Lodge or outside the Stockade for “Emergency Use Only”)
For more information, visit SWOCamps.